The Development Plan for the Fishing Community in Vilanculos (DPFCV) is available in the DLIST document library
The Development Plan for the Fishing Community in Vilanculo (DPFCV) aims to foster and maintain a higher quality of life in Vilanculo Town and the surrounding area by unlocking local economic development opportunities. An effective plan may typically call for improved infrastructure and services, the creation of sustainable business opportunities based on the strengths and potential of the area and employment that is linked to opportunities in the area. The final version of the DPFCV is found on the following link; http://www.dlist-asclme.org/document-library/development-plan-the-fishin...
Overview of the plan:
1. The DPFCV is a key instrument that will help to guide development towards an improved quality of life in the Vilanculo Town;
2. The DPFCV was developed as a result of extensive engagement with the local inhabitants and through consultation with relevant authorities and other players;
3. Community involvement through public meetings and visioning exercises held with the Fishing Community, ensured that local interests were safeguarded and that the community developed a sense of ownership of the Plan and
4. Most importantly, The DPFCV pursues a collectively constructed Vision and can be considered a road map to this end:
“We envision Vilanculo, to be more developed with more education and skills development, good road and basic infrastructure and most importantly we want more job opportunities. We also want the people of Vilanculo to have access to coastal and marine resources without disturbing the ecosystem and to be able to practice a sustainable fishery.”
5. The DPFCV comprises five sections:
a. The first section provides an Introduction with essential background, the purpose of the plan and a basic description of the area covered by the plan;
b. The second section outlines the Methodology in detail and describes the exhaustive consultations, the fully transparent process and additional research undertaken to provide a solid basis for the Plan;
c. The third section presents the Outcomes of the consultative process and the results of the socio-economic and other research conducted on other initiatives that may impact on local economic development;
d. The fourth section provides a combined Strategy and Implementation Plan that is short, direct and suitable for local consumption; and
e. The fifth section presents the Guidelines for the Development Plan for the Fishing Community in Vilanculo.
Priority issues identified through stakeholder consultations
Eleven priority issues were identified by stakeholders. The key issues relate to: i) inadequate marine resources in the sea; ii) a lack of reliable alternative livelihoods; iii) insufficient funding; iv) poor basic education; v) a lack of law enforcement; vi) degradation of the harbor; vii) degradation of the marginal (beach front in Vilanculo town); viii) poor public infrastructure; ix) a lack of marketing for Vilanculo as a destination; x) limited English language knowledge; and xi) insufficient local involvement in tourism.