1 Chicago policeman killed, another seriously injured | Crime-and-Courts

PAIGE FRY Chicago Tribune

Two Chicago police officers were gunned down Saturday night in the West Englewood neighborhood in the southern part of the city, according to Chicago police.

One of the officers, a female, died, according to the Chicago Police Department. The other is fighting for his life, First Deputy to the Superintendent. Eric Carter said at an early Sunday morning press conference.

“Our hearts are suffering from the loss of lives,” Mayor Lori Lightfoot said at the press conference.

The officer was the first Chicago cop to be shot and killed in the line of duty since Lightfoot became mayor in 2019. Last year, the deaths of four other Chicago cops who succumbed to COVID- 19 was also considered by the police to be in the line of duty.

Before Saturday night, however, the last deaths in the line of duty of Chicago cops who were killed while pursuing a suspect occurred in December 2018, when Constables Eduardo Marmolejo and Conrad Gary were fatally struck. by train as they searched for a wanted suspect. for illegal possession of a firearm. This suspect, Edward Brown, was sentenced last April to one year in prison for the felony of gun violation in the case.

The shooting occurred just after 9 p.m. near West 63rd Street and South Bell Avenue when officers conducted a traffic stop, Carter said. There were three people in the vehicle, two men and a woman.

During the shutdown, someone opened fire on the officers and the officers fired back, Carter said. Two officers and one of the suspects were shot dead.

The officers were taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, police spokesman Tom Ahern wrote in a tweet.

Two men are in custody and a suspect, the woman, is still at large, Ahern said. The suspect who was shot was taken to Christ Hospital. A handgun was recovered from the scene, he said.

The deceased officer had worked for the Chicago Police Department since 2018 and was a member of the Community Safety Team, a city-wide unit formed last summer under the direction of Police Superintendent David Brown to respond to crime hot spots.

An overnight email from senior management at the Chicago Police Department urged the department to “keep the families and friends of these officers in your prayers.” Please continue to look after each other on and off duty as we deal with this heartbreaking tragedy. “

Numerous marked and unmarked police vehicles, with their flashing lights, blocked traffic along West 63rd Street three or four blocks westbound and on side streets all around the scene. Cook County Sheriff’s Police were also on the scene to assist with traffic control.

Outside the entrance to the University of Chicago Medical Center ambulance on Cottage Grove Avenue, dozens of Chicago police officers and Cook County Sheriff’s deputies stood outside. Cottage Grove and 57th Street near the hospital were both lined with police cars.

Officers exchanged hugs between themselves and people in civilian clothes. Some women approached the entrance in tears as an officer escorted them.

A Jeep pulled up at the intersection and a passenger rolled down their window and shouted at a woman on the sidewalk, “What happened here?

“Two officers were shot,” she replied.

“Oh, wow,” he said, shaking his head and pulling the window up.

The Fraternal Order of Police, Chicago Lodge # 7, tweeted “Lord, please watch these two officers, keep them and all the officers of the 8th District safe tonight.” This career of service that we have all chosen is a career of sacrifice, but please Lord, not tonight. Not this evening.”

Early Sunday morning, dozens of police officers stood along Harrison and Leavitt Streets outside the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office as the officer’s body was slowly escorted into its dimly lit parking lot by a live band playing the bagpipes – a tradition for a Chicago cop who dies in the line of duty.

With the roar of a parked fire engine in the background, dozens of officers greeted Chicago Fire Department Ambulance 36 as it moved slowly with its hazard lights flashing.

Some firefighters and paramedics also paid tribute. Fire trucks parked across Harrison from each other had their ladders hoisted into the air to the point where they were almost adjacent, so they could together drape a large American flag in front of the motorcade for the ambulance.

Dozens of police vehicles, their flashing blue hazard lights, made up the motorcade, giving the initial escort to the ambulance to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where the officer was pronounced dead.

Previous Bruises and suspected neglect lead daughter to relocate mother from Colonial Heights care facility
Next A proposed LGBTQ center on Chicago’s South Side garners community opinions, hopes and concerns | State and Regional

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.