The hybrid cloud market is expected to grow from US $ 44.6 billion in 2018 to US $ 97.6 billion by 2023.
Hybrid cloud overview
Today’s business is constantly evolving and technology is trying to catch up with those business agility to meet time-to-market. Organizations are expanding their use of the cloud to maintain their competitive advantage, accelerate innovation, and transform interactions with customers, employees and partners. The pandemic has further increased the demand for cloud delivery speed and scale of adoption.
According to International Data Corporation (IDC), âBy 2022, more than 90% of businesses globally will rely on a combination of on-premises / dedicated private clouds, multiple public clouds, and legacy platforms to meet their infrastructure needs.
Markets and Markets Research reported that “the hybrid cloud market is expected to grow from US $ 44.6 billion in 2018 to US $ 97.6 billion by 2023, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 17 .0% over the forecast period “.
CIOs across industries are busy working with multiple cloud providers, essentially keeping what works and what needs improvement in the organization’s cloud fleet. One of the fundamental decisions they must make is how to balance the onsite, remote, public and private elements of this combination. CIO must strategize to embrace emerging technologies to deliver more business value than ever before.
In addition, CIO’s security concerns about adopting public cloud providers are decreasing while concerns about vendor lockdown are increasing. The organization doesn’t want to put all its eggs in a single cloud provider’s basket, in order to minimize the huge dependency.
Key factors CIOs should consider before promoting the hybrid cloud model across the organization are,
- Does the organization have a good corporate culture to embrace rapid change
- What value hybrid cloud brings to businesses
- Will this help the organization to reduce costs, improve processes and better manage security?
- Preparing the organization for the new service model
- The organization’s ability to manage change by moving to hybrid cloud adoption while maintaining business continuity
- Does the organization have appropriate use cases for hybrid cloud adoption? For example: using packaged applications, configuring disaster recovery in multiple geographies, etc.
- Volume of requirements for the development of new applications on existing architectures, development of new generation applications
Hybrid Cloud addresses all of the above CIO concerns. Hybrid cloud is one of the quick fixes for managing agility and speed in terms of choosing the right workload for the right environment.
Hybrid cloud is not a software product or service. It is an approach to cloud computing that includes a combination of private cloud, public cloud, and / or on-premises environment. The combination can include infrastructure, virtualization, bare-metal servers, and / or containers.
The hybrid cloud approach is the key solution for organizations looking to migrate to the cloud, manage dynamic workloads, accelerate application development, containerize workloads, adopt microservices and portability of services to multiple cloud platforms.
Key Considerations for Hybrid Cloud Adoption
Hybrid cloud plays a key role in increasing the speed of delivery of IT resources to end users, improving disaster recovery capabilities and better utilization of resources. Some of the key considerations for hybrid cloud adoption are,
- Visibility of the current state: Assess the organization’s current application landscape and infrastructure to decide on the migration to the cloud. A comprehensive analysis of the organization’s application portfolio should be performed to decide on cloud adoption.
- Cloud adoption rate: the Big Bang approach is not going to fly. Based on the criticality of the applications, the decision on moving on the Cloud Vs timelines should be made. Factors that determine cloud adoption rate are application complexity, data requirements, regulatory and compliance needs, prerequisites for modernization, cost implications, real-time requirements, etc.
- Rationalize the portfolio: Identify the business functions and applications that meet those business capabilities. Reorganize these business functions according to industry trends and mergers / acquisitions. Identify redundant functionality between applications and streamline them before moving to hybrid cloud.
- Application Migration: Applications can be migrated âto and fromâ the data center and the cloud using the hybrid cloud model. Identify which applications should remain on-premises or migrate to a private or public cloud. This migration can be temporary or permanent depending on the company’s migration strategy.
- Nature of Applications: Frequently changing applications should be migrated to the cloud to take advantage of automated deployment through adoption of DevOps. Applications that manage sensitive data to be better stored on site. Applications with very high scalability requirements due to varying seasonal or opportune user load are ideal to be hosted in the public / private cloud
- Selecting environments: Public cloud environments are cloud service providers that may not provide specialized hardware / application components and therefore are not a viable option for moving the application to the cloud. The basic idea is to choose the best environment for running the application in order to provide the functionality at the most optimal cost and effort.
- Integration Strategy: The need to reconnect applications to historical data that resides on on-premises servers still exists, even if the migration to the cloud occurs. A variety of diverse integration models are emerging as part of application modernization, offering a multitude of data sources spanning structured and unstructured data. All of these activities require refining the integration strategy to be followed by the hybrid cloud across the organization.
- Regulatory Requirements: Applications requiring regulatory and compliance requirements require certain applications / data to reside on premises. This requires more in-depth due diligence to select the right candidates for hybrid cloud and the right hosting option for the application.
- Containerization: Containerization of applications would help make the application cloud agnostic and move between public, private and on-premises clouds. Containers and microservices go hand in hand like Idly and Sambar, if we prepare wisely. Microservices and containerization of these services deployed in a hybrid cloud environment.
- Cloud interoperability: Integration between multiple cloud offerings across multiple cloud service providers and types of cloud is the key consideration for successful hybrid multi cloud adoption
Benefits of adopting hybrid cloud
Hybrid cloud helps the organization with increased flexibility to deliver IT resources, improved disaster recovery capabilities, and reduced IT capital expenditures. The other advantages for the Organization are,
- Business Acceleration: Help accelerate business processes, support collaboration, and deliver cost-effective solutions to free up IT budget for innovative and revenue-generating projects
- Cost Reduction: Help reduce operating and capital costs and improve business performance, productivity and agility through a flexible and scalable solution. Organizations can choose which applications to move across clouds and on-premises based on their organization’s needs.
- Reliability: In this model, if one cloud goes down, some functionality will still be available to users of other deployed clouds. Usually a public cloud can be used as a backup to another cloud
- Risk Management: Help mitigate risk with a single, unified cybersecurity solution
- Manage legacy systems: Rather than replacing legacy systems, hybrid cloud can bridge the gap between old and new, delivering significant cost savings
- Scalability: Applications can scale endlessly by adopting a hybrid multi-cloud strategy while keeping the business core and data secure with on-premise hosting
Hybrid cloud has become the mainstream of IT as more and more organizations embrace hybrid cloud as part of their IT strategy. The hybrid cloud approach is the key solution for organizations seeking cloud migration, dynamic workloads, application development acceleration, containerized workloads, microservices adoption and portability. on multiple cloud platforms.
Adoption of hybrid cloud helps the organization reduce the infrastructure footprint, improve security, increase resiliency, eliminate downtime, and accelerate time to market.
Therefore, hybrid cloud is not just about saving costs. It is about making the Organization more agile, efficient and productive. Organizations of any size can embrace hybrid cloud which contributes to cost-effective business delivery.
The authors would like to thank Vijayasimha A & Raju Alluri of Wipro Digital Architecture Practice of Wipro Ltd for donating the time and support in many ways in writing this article.
Dr. Gopala Krishna Behara is a Distinguished Fellow and Senior Enterprise Architect at Wipro Technologies with over 25 years of experience in the ICT industry. He is a consulting architect, enterprise architecture mentor, application modernization and continues to work as a subject matter expert and author. He is certified Open Group TOGAF, AWS Solution Architect -Associate, IBM Cloud Solutions and UNPAN. Number of published research articles, books in the computer industry. He has been a speaker at national and international forums and organizations such as The Open Group, National e-Governance Forum. He has been moderator and panel member of several technical / business forums such as IGI Global, AEA, Open Group and Premium College. Recipient of the EA Hall of Fame International Award – Individual Leadership Award in EA Practice, Promotion and Professionalization.
He can be contacted at: [email protected].
Public profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gopalbehara/
The opinions expressed in this article / presentation are those of the author and Wipro does not endorse the substance, truthfulness or truthfulness of such opinion.
Share this article